New Harvest: graduation concerts Catch the Music Academy’s graduates for free while you still can
Exam time at the Danish Nacional Academy of Music means the best summer concerts. With musicians that you will soon pay a lot of money to listen to at the CPH Jazz Festival. Behind the implied titles (“Tim and the big band”, ‘Johann Gustavs bachelor concert’), there is a lot of gold hiding here, artists that give you what they have learned and a little bit more.
These are open exams that look like ordinary concerts, except the nerves are tight, the performance is even tighter and all the way at the back of the hall, sitting under a little table lamp , are the censors with their glasses on their noses. Here there are no dull tour musicians with glass eyes and routine solos. Everything is on point and that is the fun part. The musicians always invite their best companions to play along and they only play what is the closest to their hearts. A bloody-honest business card for their careers that opens NOW.
I remember when the guitarist Buster Jensen’s bachelor concert in 2014 at Posten culminated with Buster smashing his guitar on the stage and it looked like an improvised rock-star move, but as he explained afterwards, it was an attempt to hide the fact that the string strang and the instrument was out of tune from the censors. There was standing ovationsfrom the audience.
Find them on the stages around the city all week: the classical - in the churches, the rhythmical - at Dexter, Posten or at the Academy’s hall on Islandsgade. Here is a full list of the more than 80 concerts. It can pay off to take a chance, but here are the five I am the most interested inform all the genres:
1) Crossover - trumpeter Tim Ewé performs his own masterpiece “The Trees” (in 4 parts: Seedling, Willow, Oak and Birch), together with an unorthodox bigband of 15 containing musicians from folk, classical and rhythm music. Monday night at Dexter.
2) Fusion Jazz - drummer Troels Lund-Sørensen with a trio. Tuesday night at Dexter.
3) Composition - guitarist Anna Roemer debuts as a composer with Conditions & Variations for synth, flugelhorn, saxophones, etc. Friday afternoon at the Academy.
4) Straight Jazz - pianist Johann Gustav and ensemble play classics and new music. Friday night at Posten.
5) Classical song - mezzo-soprano Anna Ström and tenor Jonathan von Schwanenflügel. Saturday in Sct. Hans Church.
Link to the event Close